1. Introduction & General Terms
It also relates to our use of any personal information you provide to us online or on mobile.
In order to provide you with our full range of services, we sometimes need to collect information about you.
- what information Skillbeat may collect about you;
- how Skillbeat will use information we collect about you;
- when Skillbeat may use your details to contact you;
- whether Skillbeat will disclose your details to anyone else;
- your choices regarding the personal information you provide to us;
2. Who are we?
Skillbeat is a trading name of Onyx Flash Ltd, registered in the UK. Skillbeat provides a platform for finding and reviewing educational resources.
When we refer to ‘’we’’ or ‘’our’’ or ‘’Skillbeat’’ we are referring to Skillbeat.
3. What information will Skillbeat collect about me?
When you participate in, access or sign up to any of Skillbeat’s services, activities or online content, such as reviews, newsletters, competitions, live chats, message boards, telephone or text, vote, book tickets for a course or event, or create an account using the Skillbeat online registration system we may receive personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone or mobile number or date of birth, depending on the activity.
By submitting your details, you enable Skillbeat (and where applicable its contractors) to provide you with the services, activities or online content you select.
Please note that sometimes we will require you to provide additional personal information, and sometimes sensitive personal information. When we do this we will provide further information as to why we are collecting your information and how we will use it.
4. How will Skillbeat use the information it collects about me?
Skillbeat will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- to provide our services, activities or online content and to deal with your requests and enquiries;
- for "service administration purposes", which means that Skillbeat may contact you for reasons related to the service, activity or online content you have signed up for, as set out in section 5 below (e.g. to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service, activity or online content has been suspended for maintenance);
- to contact you about a submission you have made, including any content you provide;
- to provide you with information about our services, activities or online content;
- to personalise the way Skillbeat content is presented to you;
- to use IP addresses to identify the location of users, to block disruptive use or to establish the number of visits from different countries;
- to analyse and improve the services offered on Skillbeat websites;
- to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience. Skillbeat may also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes; and
Where Skillbeat proposes using your personal information for any other uses we will ensure that we notify you first. You will also be given the opportunity to withhold or withdraw your consent for the use of your personal information for purposes other than those listed above.
5. When will Skillbeat contact me?
Skillbeat may contact you:
- in relation to any service, activity or online content you have signed up for in order to ensure that we can deliver the services to you;
- in relation to any correspondence we receive from you or any comment or complaint you make about Skillbeat products or services;
- in relation to any contribution you have submitted to Skillbeat, e.g. on the Skillbeat review or message boards or via text or voicemail message;
- to invite you to participate in surveys about Skillbeat services (participation is always voluntary); and
- for marketing purposes, where you have agreed to this (see section 6 below)
The relevant pages will give you detailed information about how Skillbeat will contact you in relation to specific services, activities or online content.
6. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
Skillbeat will only use your information for marketing purposes, or to promote new services, activities or online content where you have agreed to this.
7. Will Skillbeat share my personal information with anyone else?
We will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies) or as described in section 8 below. Generally, we will only use your information within Skillbeat. However, sometimes Skillbeat uses third parties to process your information on our behalf. Skillbeat requires these third parties to comply strictly with its instructions and Skillbeat requires that they do not use your personal information for their own business purposes, unless you have explicitly consented to the use of your personal information in this way.
8. Offensive or inappropriate content on Skillbeat websites
If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content anywhere on or to Skillbeat websites or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on any Skillbeat service, Skillbeat may use your personal information to stop such behaviour.
Where Skillbeat reasonably believes that you are or may be in breach of any applicable laws (e.g. because content you have posted may be defamatory), Skillbeat may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school email/internet provider or law enforcement agencies about the content and your behaviour.
9. What if I am a user aged 16 or under?
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent/guardian's permission before you provide any personal information to Skillbeat. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
10. How long will Skillbeat keep my personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with Skillbeat or Skillbeat's corporate retention schedule (a database that defines which documents should be kept and for how long). If you cancel your registration as a Skillbeat website member and your account is deleted a red flag goes on the database and, while Skillbeat cannot use the personal information, it stays on the system for a period of one year for administration purposes before being deleted.
Where you contribute material to Skillbeat we will generally only keep your content for as long as is reasonably required for the purpose(s) for which it was submitted. For example, we will only keep copies of entries to a competition for the duration of the competition. However other activities (e.g. your reviews) are likely to have a longer, or even permanent, duration.
There may be rare instances where we will share your contribution with third parties in the interests of maintaining historical archives. Where possible, we will endeavour to inform you upfront or let you know at a later date where we are likely to keep content indefinitely or pass it onto an approved historical archive.
11. Can I find out what personal information Skillbeat holds about me?
Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to request a copy of the personal information Skillbeat holds about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. (We charge £20 for information requests and require you to prove your identity with 2 pieces of approved identification). We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
12. What if I am accessing Skillbeat websites outside the UK?
The Skillbeat website is published in the UK by Skillbeat. An international version of the website is made available to international users accessing the website from outside the UK. Where there is a conflict in any terms or policy, the local terms or policy will apply.
13. Cookies Policy - Information Skillbeat collects from you
a. What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes a unique identifier that is sent to your computer, tablet or mobile phone (referred to here as a "device") browser from a website's computer and is stored on your device's hard drive. Each website can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser's preferences allow it, but (to protect your privacy) your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other websites. Many websites do this whenever a user visits their website in order to track online traffic flows.
On Skillbeat websites, cookies record information about your online preferences and allow us to tailor our websites to your interests.
c. Third Party Cookies in embedded content on Skillbeat pages
Please note that during your visits to Skillbeat websites you may notice some cookies that are not related to Skillbeat or Skillbeat’s contractors. When you visit a page with content embedded from, for example, YouTube or Flickr, you may be presented with cookies from these websites. Skillbeat does not control the dissemination of these cookies. You should check the third party websites for more information about these.
d. Skillbeat cookies and how to reject cookies?
If you wish to control what cookies are set on your device through the Skillbeat website then you can do this through your browser settings. You may find guidance on how to do this on the www.aboutcookies.org website. It is important to note that if you change your settings and block certain cookies, this means that certain personalised features cannot then be provided and accordingly you may not be able to take full advantage of all of the websites' features.
14. Do Not Track (DNT) browser setting
DNT is a feature offered by some browsers which, when enabled, sends a signal to websites to request that your browsing is not tracked, such as by third party ad networks, social networks and analytic companies. This website does not currently respond to DNT requests.
A uniform standard has not yet been adopted to determine how DNT requests should be interpreted and what actions should be taken by websites and third parties. Skillbeat will continue to review DNT and other new technologies and may adopt a DNT standard once available.
16. Other Skillbeat Operations
Some areas of our website have their own privacy and cookies policies which you should also read before submitting your personal information.
Last updated: June 2014
- 1. Introduction & General Terms
- 2. Who are we?
- 3. What information will you collect about me?
- 4. How will you use the information you collect about me?
- 5. When will you contact me?
- 6. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
- 7. Will you share my personal information with anyone else?
- 8. Offensive or inappropriate content on our website
- 9. What if I am a user aged 16 or under?
- 10. How long will you keep my personal information?
- 11. Can I find out what personal information you hold about me?
- 12. What if I am accessing the website from outside the UK?
- 13. Cookies Policy - Information we collect from you
- 14. Do Not Track (DNT) browser setting
- 16. Other Operations